Re: pg12 rc1 on CentOS8 depend python2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

keisuke kuroda <keisuke.kuroda.3862@gmail.com> writes:
> Even if I don't need to install plpythonu,
> RPM package includes "CONFIGURE = --with-python".
> Therefore I think that I need to install python2 when RPM install.
> Is my understanding correct?

The core server package shouldn't have any python dependency.

It doesn't surprise me so much that the contrib package does, though.
Most likely, that includes the plpython transform modules
(hstore_plpython, jsonb_plpython, etc), which are certainly going to
depend on whichever libpython PG was built with.

It might've been better to split out those modules as a separate
package.  OTOH that would add confusion, and we have a lot of
subpackages already.

Another idea might be to bundle them into the plpython package
instead of contrib (and similarly for the plperl transforms).

            regards, tom lane