Re: schema agnostic functions in language sql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: schema agnostic functions in language sql
Date
List pgsql-general
Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> writes:
> I cannot create a plain sql function unless the search_path covers any
> table mentioned. Not the case when using plpgsql - no path needed.

Oh, one of the things that's quite a lot different is the checking
applied at function creation time ;-).

For a SQL function, by default we'll try to parse and analyze the body, so
any unknown tables will draw an error.  plpgsql doesn't go further than a
very crude syntax check.

If you don't like that, you can set check_function_bodies = off while
creating your SQL functions.  But in any case, it's only related to what
happens at execution if the search path is the same.

            regards, tom lane