Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-patches
Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
>> I think the idea has some merit; although I wonder whether it
>> wouldn't be smarter to put the code in the backend so that you don't
>> need a parser in psql.  The SHOW code could fall back to looking at
>> these possibilities after it fails to find a match to a GUC variable
>> name.

> Well, I think that the backend should be kept clean of MySQL's
> nastiness.

Keep in mind though that there was already talk of migrating most of the
\d functionality to the backend (primarily as a way of decoupling psql
from catalog version changes).  If we were to do that, it would make
good sense to make it accessible via SHOW as well.  IMHO anyway.

            regards, tom lane