Re: ...ADD CONSTRAINT "$1"... ? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ...ADD CONSTRAINT "$1"... ?
Date
List pgsql-novice
<kynn@panix.com> writes:
> In the output I get from pg_dump I see many instances of expressions
> like
>   ...ADD CONSTRAINT "$1"...
> What does the "$1" mean?

It's just a constraint name (assigned by an older version of Postgres
apparently --- I don't think current releases generate names like that
anymore).

> I want to add more constraints "by hand" to the dump file.  I imagine
> that the constraint would include the fragment
>   ...ADD CONSTRAINT "$2"...
> ...or "$3", "$4", whatever, but I want to understand what I'm doing.

Use whatever name you want as long as it's not already used for another
constraint on the same table.

            regards, tom lane