Re: 2PC-induced lockup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 2PC-induced lockup
Date
Re: 2PC-induced lockup  ("Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> The following command sequence appears to lock up the database system:
> BEGIN;
> LOCK pg_authid;
> PREPARE TRANSACTION 'foo';
> \q

> After that you can't connect anymore, even in single-user mode.  The
> only way I could find is to clear out the pg_twophase directory, but
> I'm not sure whether it is safe to do that.

> Should this be prevented somehow, and is there a better recovery path?

AFAICS this is just one of many ways in which a superuser can shoot
himself in the foot; I'm not eager to try to prevent it.

Right offhand, clearing pg_twophase while the system is stopped should
be safe enough.