Re: Schema + User-Defined Data Type Indexing problems... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Schema + User-Defined Data Type Indexing problems...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Chris Gamache <cgg007@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm having a heck of a time, and it seems like in my thrashing about
> to find a solution to this problem I have ruined the uniqueidentifier
> datatype in the schema...

> CREATE INDEX mt_uuid_idx
>   ON my_schema.my_table USING btree (my_uuid);

> ERROR:  data type my_schema.uniqueidentifier has no default operator class for
> access method "btree"
> HINT:  You must specify an operator class for the index or define a default
> operator class for the data type.

> I can look at the operator classes and see that there is an operator class for
> btree for my_schema.uniqueidentifier.

IIRC, the opclass has to be in a schema that is in your schema search
path to be found by CREATE INDEX by default.  If it isn't, you could
specify it explicitly:

CREATE INDEX mt_uuid_idx ON my_schema.my_table USING btree (my_uuid USING my_schema.uuidopclass);

It's possible that we could think of a more convenient behavior for
default opclasses, but I don't want to do something that would foreclose
having similarly-named datatypes in different schemas.  You have any
suggestions?
        regards, tom lane