Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Or perhaps there is some other way to make sure that the user "really
> meant it", like refusing to create in pg_catalog unless the schema
> name is given explicitly.  I kind of like that idea, actually.

That does seem attractive at first glance.  Did you have an
implementation in mind?  The idea that comes to mind for me is to hack
namespace.c, either to prevent activeCreationNamespace from getting set
to "pg_catalog" in the first place, or to throw error in
LookupCreationNamespace and friends.  I am not sure though if
LookupCreationNamespace et al ever get called in contexts where no
immediate object creation is intended (and thus maybe an error wouldn't
be appropriate).