Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum"
Date
In response to Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum"  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-bugs
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:11:06AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Shouldn't we instead file a kernel bug report?  I seem to recall that
>> POSIX guarantees atomicity of these things up to some operation size.
>> Or is that just for pipe I/O?

> Even if this is recognized as a bug report, it seems to me that we'd
> better cope with an extra lock for instances that may run into this
> issue anyway in the future, no?  Just to be on the safe side.

Based on the evidence at hand, we can't really say whether the writes
are non-atomic.  If that's the case then we have much worse problems
than just needing to add a lock.  Thus, I think we need to get some
kernel people involved.

            regards, tom lane