Re: limits? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: limits?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Kynn Jones" <kynnjo@gmail.com> writes:
> Actually, the DB I have in mind would certainly be approaching "silly
> territory."  I'm looking at a schema with around 10 thousand tables (or
> views).  Unfortunately, as far as I can tell,
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/ says nothing about maximum number of
> tables.

There is no hard limit (at least not till you hit the 16TB size limit on
pg_class or pg_attribute...).  In practice this number tends to be
constrained by the operating system, not Postgres.  How well does your
OS do with tens of thousands of entries in a single directory?

Generally, though, schema designs like this amount to manually replacing
leading columns of an index key with separate tables, and they're
usually bad style and a PITA to work with.  If you have a desperate need
to partition the data then you might have to go that way, but you should
think twice.

            regards, tom lane