Re: getting pid of backend - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: getting pid of backend
Date
List pgsql-sql
Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz@pc10.radnoti-szeged.sulinet.hu> writes:
> I mean the current pid number of the actual connection. Not the postmaster
> process, I need the pid of the currently running postgres. :-)

I don't believe it's available as a SQL query, but libpq can tell you
what it is.

Probably a more interesting question is "why do you want to know?".
I can't offhand think of a really good reason to use the backend pid
for anything on the client side, other than distinguishing self-notifies
from other notifies, which is not something you can do at the SQL level
anyway.
        regards, tom lane