Re: EXPLAIN doesn't show the actual function expression for FunctionScan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: EXPLAIN doesn't show the actual function expression for FunctionScan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
> Argument List?

Well, as shown in the example I posted, it's not just the argument list
but the whole call:

>> Function Call: unnest(ARRAY[ROW(('1.2.2'::text)::semver, '='::text, ('1.2.2'::text)::semver), ROW('1.2.23', '=',
'1.2.23')])

Now you might suggest that the function itself is redundant with the
information given in the FunctionScan node line and so we need only
show the argument list.  Unfortunately there are cases where this fails;
in particular, the named function could have been "inlined" by the
planner, meaning that the actual expression could be just about anything
at all.  So I think that trying to be cute is a bad idea and we should
just print the nodetree as-is.