Re: 8.1 substring bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.1 substring bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> In this particular case the syntax makes it unclear that the substring
> is the problem. Perhaps here the solution would be to put a cast in the
> grammer, like so:

> substr_for: FOR a_expr                       { $$ =3D makeTypeCast($2,"int4"); }
>                 ;

Not there, because it would break the variants where FOR introduces a
character expression, eg

But I think we could do this in substr_list in the case where we have
just "a_expr substr_for", because there are no variants of that where
the FOR expression is supposed to be string.  See my other message
just now.