Re: ALTER TABLE on system catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE on system catalogs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2018-08-20 14:38:25 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Do you have an alternative in mind?

> One is to just not do anything. I'm not sure I'm on board with the goal
> of changing things to make DDL on system tables more palatable.

FWIW, I agree with doing as little as possible here.  I'd be on board
with Andres' suggestion of just swapping the two code stanzas so that
the no-op case doesn't error out.  As soon as you go beyond that, you
are in wildly unsafe and untested territory.