Re: Database quota - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Database quota
Date
List pgsql-general
Fernando Schapachnik <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar> writes:
> Is there any way to stablish a maximum size for a database? Would
> setting each database directory to user:pgsql, 770 and setting a file
> system quota for user "user" work? I mean, would postmaster handle
> the limit gracefully?

If you can exclude pg_xlog and pg_clog from the quota, I believe that
failure to extend other tables would be reasonably graceful.  Failure to
extend the log files will cause a system stop, however.  (The good news
is that the sizes of the log file directories are fairly predictable.
Log file segments are recycled when no longer needed, so the total space
used doesn't really grow without bound, at least not in 7.2.)

            regards, tom lane