Re: Is this a bug in 7.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is this a bug in 7.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> bray=# SELECT DISTINCT p.id, p.name, a.town
> bray-#   FROM (
> bray(#         SELECT id, name
> bray(#           FROM customer
> bray(#         UNION
> bray(#         SELECT id, name
> bray(#           FROM supplier
> bray(#        ) AS p
> bray-#        LEFT OUTER JOIN address AS a
> bray-#          ON p.address = a.id
> bray-#   WHERE p.id = '22002';

> ERROR:  function applied to tuple is not supported for subSELECTs

> What does the error message mean?

table.functionname is an ancient PostQUEL notation for functions that
take whole tuples --- think "address(p)" and you'll have a better idea
what the parser is seeing here.

This notation is something we're probably going to have to retire soon,
since I doubt it will play well with schema notation (too hard to guess
what foo.bar.baz means).  I doubt anyone but the regression tests still
use the PostQUEL notation for function calls anyway.

            regards, tom lane