Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One idea is for SET to return a command tag that has more information,
> like we do for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.  It could return the variable
> modified and the new value.

But that doesn't solve the problem --- what about begin, set, rollback?
What about absorbing a new value for a variable while re-reading
postgresql.conf due to SIGHUP?

Unless you want to effectively disable all of the nice GUC behavior
we've developed, I think you have to have a reporting mechanism that's
separate from command completion.

> Also, are we removing the behavior that SET _doesn't_ start a
> transaction in autocommit off mode?

If we remove autocommit-off mode, it stops being an issue ;-)