Re[2]: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yury Don
Subject Re[2]: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Len,

Once, Tuesday, June 27, 2000, 4:22:08 AM, you wrote:

LM> While we're on the subject of Access/Postgres, I have a consistent problem
LM> in moving tables between Access and Postgres.  Access doesn't seem to want
LM> to export a fixed length character field (i.e., I have a text field that is
LM> 9 chars long but when the table is created in Postgres, it always comes out
LM> character varying(9) instead.  I cannot seem to make Postgres join two
LM> tables when the type of one is char(9) and the other is character
LM> varying(9).  The machine seems to go into an endless loop.  A similar
LM> problem I have is with fix precision fields.  I want to export a
LM> numeric(10,2) number from Access but they always end up numeric(30,6).

LM> Perhaps this is my punishment for using Access/Windows but that is not
LM> something I can change just yet.  If you have any insight into why this
LM> might be happening or what I can do to fix it, I would appreciate it.  BTW:
LM> Postgres 6.5.3 and Access97.

IMHO if you have a less or more complex database you can't convert it
into PostgreSQL fully automatically. I did it using Pgupt, it makes
sql scripts for databse schema, you can change them as you need and
then create database and load data into it.

--
Best regards,
 Yury  ICQ 11831432