Re: shared memory corruption - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: shared memory corruption
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Todd Nemanich <todd@twopunks.org> writes:
>    PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.3.1):   PostgreSQL-7.3.1
>    Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.95.2)          :       ? (PGDG 7.3.1
> rpms on RH 7.3)

> May 13 14:01:17 db3 postgres[2618]: [1] LOG:  server process (pid 14721)
> was terminated by signal 6

Hmm.  Signal 6 is SIGABORT, which suggests that that backend aborted
itself after detecting an Assert() failure.  But I didn't think that
the RPM version was compiled with assertions enabled.  Also, if it was
an assert then there should have been a complaint about it just before
the termination message.

If this is repeatable, I'd suggest restarting the postmaster under
"ulimit -c unlimited" so that the abort will produce a core-dump file.
A debugger backtrace from the core file would provide useful info.

            regards, tom lane