Re: Hot Standby (v9d) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Hot Standby (v9d)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(sorry for top posting -- blame apple)

I don't see anything "dangerous" with either setting. For use cases
where the backup is the primary purpose then killing queries is fine.
For use cases where the maching is a reporting machine then saving
large amounts of archived logs is fine.

Engineering is about tradeoffs and these two use cases are
intrinsically in conflict.

The alternative is postponing vacuuming on the master which is imho
even worse than the disease.

--
Greg