Re: Discussion about inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Discussion about inheritance
Date
List pgsql-general
"Marcelo Soares" <msoares@masterhoteis.com.br> writes:
> To me, this looks not like a bug, because the tuple is not at A phisically.

A lot of people call it a bug because it makes it impossible for them to
use inheritance the way they want to.

> Like I said, this is not a problem for me, but I want to know if someone
> thinks this can be considered a real problem, or if something will be done
> to try to correct (or modify) this operation.

It is likely that it will get changed at some point in the future,
because the consensus seems to be that the other behavior would be more
useful.  However, fixing it seems to require building indexes across
multiple tables --- or else a drastic change in the storage
representation of inherited tables --- so it won't happen soon.

            regards, tom lane