Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.
Date
Re: Pooling in Core WAS: Need help in performance tuning.  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I'm also relying on the unsubstantiated assumption that it's
>> possible to pass a socket connection between processes.

> Doesn't pgpool do this?

No, and in fact that's exactly why the proposed implementation isn't
ever going to be in core: it's not possible to do it portably.
(And no, I'm not interested in hearing about how you can do it on
platforms X, Y, and/or Z.)

I agree with the comments to the effect that this is really a packaging
and documentation problem.  There is no need for us to re-invent the
existing solutions, but there is a need for making sure that they are
readily available and people know when to use them.

            regards, tom lane