Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator
Date
List pgsql-general
"Carlos Oliva" <carlos@pbsinet.com> writes:
> This log has the error but I do not understand why it occurs.

> Starting postgresql service: + su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c
> '/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o
> '\''-p 5432'\'' start  > /dev/null 2>&1'
> -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected

Hm.  Apparently the error is actually occuring inside the pg_ctl script.
Try changing the above line in the initscript to do
    /bin/sh -c "/bin/sh -x /usr/bin/pg_ctl ..."
so we can get tracing of the pg_ctl script too.

(I am now thinking that the error probably occurs because pg_ctl is
expecting some environment variable to be set that is not set when run
from the boot script?  If so, you might not see the failure if you try
to run pg_ctl by hand with sh -x.  But you could try that first if you
like.)

            regards, tom lane