Re: PostmasterContext survives into parallel workers!? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostmasterContext survives into parallel workers!?
Date
Re: PostmasterContext survives into parallel workers!?  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: PostmasterContext survives into parallel workers!?  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2016-08-01 18:09:03 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> (Also vaguely on the list of things to clean up: can't we make it so
>> that bgworkers aren't launched from inside a signal handler?  Blech.)

> Isn't pretty much everything on-demand below postmaster started from a
> signal handler?

I think it depends.  As an example, maybe_start_bgworker is called
from PostmasterMain, *and* from ServerLoop, *and* from reaper,
*and* from sigusr1_handler.  That's likely excessive, but it's what
we've got at the moment.

I'm pretty sure regular backends are only launched from ServerLoop,
but for anything else it's uncertain.