Re: pg_stat: last vacuum and analyze times are not being updated - v8.3.5 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_stat: last vacuum and analyze times are not being updated - v8.3.5
Date
List pgsql-admin
[ re-including the mailing list ]

"Steve Jones" <Steve.Jones@codeweavers.net> writes:
> For your information, this is what I did last night.

> Restarted the stats collector process, by issuing a kill -9 against it.
> As you said, postgres started up a new collector process immediately.  I
> tried a few vacuums and the stats still weren't being updated.

> I then restarted postgres in the hope this would help.  It didn't.

> I finally had to reboot the whole server which fixed the problem.  As
> you said, I have to run two manual vacuums before the stats are showing
> up.  This possible points a finger towards FreeBSD now?  Would
> appreciate your thoughts.

If restarting Postgres didn't fix it then the problem has to have been
at the operating system level.  I can hardly think what the problem
would have been exactly.  It's not hard to imagine something going
wrong in the kernel state for the UDP socket we use to send messages to
the stats collector process; but restarting Postgres should have torn
down that socket and created a new one.  Perhaps something wrong in
global state for all local UDP transfers?  I dunno.  But it seems like
time to call in some FreeBSD hackers.

            regards, tom lane