Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date
List pgsql-performance
Paolo Rizzi <gis@oicom.com> writes:
> Are you saying that PostgreSQL+PostGIS can actually run on a
> smartphone??? Intriguing...
> Did anyone ever actually tried that???

If it's a supported CPU type and you've got a suitable build toolchain,
sure.  Seven or eight years ago we were getting a good laugh out of the
fact that you could run PG on a PlayStation 2.

The real issue with the kind of hardware you're describing is going to
be the finite write lifetime of a flash device.  For a low-update
application it'll probably be okay, but PG could very easily destroy a
flash in no time if you aren't careful to minimize updates.

            regards, tom lane