Re: index on points - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: index on points
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Keller <peter.keller@bvv.bayern.de> writes:
> Therefore we decided to use PostgreSQL as our DB. At this time we have
> the problem to find points in a polygon. In postgres you have the
> operator '@' to find points in a polygon. But if you have many points it
> is realy to slow without indexing the points.
> In the TODO list I saw it is planned to create an index on points and
> other geometric types. Will it be implemented at any of the next
> releases?

There is already support for r-tree indexes, but as far as I know the
'@' operator is not connected up to indexes.  In theory it'd be a
straightforward extension (I think ...).  Just needs someone interested
enough to work on it.  Are you that someone?

            regards, tom lane