Re: nextval result type difference between 7.1.3 and 7.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: nextval result type difference between 7.1.3 and 7.2.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Jong-won Choi <jong-won.choi@memetrics.com> writes:
> I use PostgreSQL, UnixODBC, and Lisp configuration.
> I call 'nextval' to get an ID on Lisp like:
>         (query "select nextval('UNIQUE_ID_SEQUENCE')")
> With PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and UnixODBC 2.0.7 or 2.2.3 it returns an
> integer(ex, 123), but with PostgreSQL 7.2.1, it returns a string(ex,
> "123").

nextval returns bigint (int8) in 7.2 and later.

You can cast the result down to integer in your query, or you can
figure out why ODBC isn't coping ... I have a vague recollection
that this may be an ODBC configuration issue ...

            regards, tom lane