Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Moving postgresql.conf tunables into 2003...
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org> writes:
> Are you willing to say that the PostgreSQL database system should only be
> used by DBAs?  I believe that Postgres is such a good and useful tool that
> anyone should be able to start using it with little or no barrier to entry.

I quite agree.  But there is a difference between saying "you should get
decent performance with no effort" and "you should get optimal
performance with no effort".  I think we can get to the first with
relatively little trouble (like boosting the default shared_buffers to
1000), but the second is an impractical goal.

            regards, tom lane