Re: How to use PG_DUMP? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andre Lopes
Subject Re: How to use PG_DUMP?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have tested with "pg_dump -u -p 5432 -d  -f c:\test.sql mydatabase" but the order of the INSERTS it is not the correct. What PG_DUMP does is to add the CONSTRAINTS after doing the INSERTS. There is a way to have the correct order of the INSERTS?

I have tested the COPY but does not insert nothing.

What can I do?

Best Regards,

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> writes:
> I have generated the CREATE statements using a modeling tool, and I have
> created another database to test the changes. My problem is the order of the
> INSERT statements generated by PG_DUMP [-a -d], causing errors because of
> the order of the INSERTS.

If you are talking about foreign key constraint failures, the best way
is to use a regular dump (not -a).  pg_dump will order the data and
constraint creations properly then.

                       regards, tom lane