Re: What's a good way to improve this query? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Arévalo
Subject Re: What's a good way to improve this query?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

El miércoles 5 de junio de 2013 a las 20:31, Paul Ramsey escribió:

> Well, your objects are larger than the page size, so you're getting them out of the toast tables, not directly out of
mainstorage. You may also have your type declared as 'main' storage, which means it's zipped up, so it's being unzipped
beforeyou can access it, that's also an overhead.

Good to know. I'll check it.

> For metadata retrieval, the thing to do is store the metadata at the head of the object (which I'm not looking into
pgrasterto see if you do, but I'll assume for now) and then use PG_DETOAST_DATUM_SLICE in the metadata accessor
function,so that you only pull the bytes you want, rather than detoasting the whole object just to get the header
information.

Ok. I'll check the PostGIS Raster functions too.

> You may be causing further pain by having all the metadata functions separate, so that in fact the object is being
read9 separate times by your different functions. It'll float into cache quickly enough, but the uncompression step at
eachaccess will still be there. You might want to stuff the query through a sampling profiler (OSX Shark!) and confirm,
butI would guess you'll find a lot of cycles spinning in zlib for this query.

Yes, you're right. Actually, replacing the calls with a general ST_Metadata call and unpacking the record at client
side,it's really faster. Many thanks!

And many thanks about Shark too. Looks great.

Best regards,
Jorge

> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Ramsey
> http://cleverelephant.ca
> http://postgis.net
>

> On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Jorge Arévalo wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm running this PostGIS Raster query
> >
> > select
> > st_scalex(rast),
> > st_scaley(rast),
> > st_skewx(rast),
> > st_skewy(rast),
> > st_width(rast),
> > st_height(rast),
> > rid,
> > st_upperleftx(rast),
> > st_upperlefty(rast),
> > st_numbands(rast)
> > from
> > my_postgis_raster_table
> >

> > I want to remark that, even when 'rast' is a complex type and can be really big, I'm getting just metadata. Not the
whole'rast' column. Anyway, the average dimensions of a 'rast' column in like 600x400 pixels (8 bits per pixel). So,
notso big (about 234 KB per rast object).

> > My table has 1257 rows, and this query takes about 45 secs to execute (45646 msecs). I think it's too slow. I'm
justgetting metadata, not the whole 'rast' object, as said.