group by and aggregate functions on regular expressions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rhys Stewart
Subject group by and aggregate functions on regular expressions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,
i have a table with an address column. I wanted to count the number of
rows with a given regex match. so i ended up with the following very
verbose query:

select
    address ~* 'magil' as Magil ,
    address ~* 'whitewater' as whitewater,
    (address ~* 'inswood' or address ~* 'innswood') as innswood,
    (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'view') as eltham_view,
    (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'acre') as eltham_acres,
    (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'vista') as eltham_vista,
    count(prem)

from prem_info
where
 address ~* 'magil'
or (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'view')
or (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'acre')
or (address ~* 'eltham' AND address ~* 'vista')
or address ~* 'whitewater'
or (address ~* 'inswood' or address ~* 'innswood')
and parish = 'SpanishTown'
group by  Magil, whitewater, innswood, eltham_view, eltham_acres,eltham_vista

and i got this:

magil    whitewater    innswood    eltham_view    eltham_acres    eltham_vista    count
f    t    f    f    f    f    650
t    f    f    f    f    f    361
f    f    f    f    f    t    181
f    f    f    f    t    f    462
f    f    f    t    f    f    542
f    f    t    f    f    f    686

useful but not in the format that would be nice. so the question:
is there any way to rewrite this query or are there any existing
functions that would give me a tabular output like so:

community        count
magil                361
whitewater        650
inswood            686