Re: Patch for more readable parse error messages - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for more readable parse error messages
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Can someone remind me where we are on this.   I seem to remember we have
> to have db clients report the location because of problems with
> interfaces handling the error output.

I think we rejected that form of the patch.  ISTM the right answer is
for the backend to hand back some fairly machine-friendly indication
of the error position (character NNN, probably) and let the frontend
decide how it wants to make use of the info.  This ought to be done
in conjunction with the other changes in error reporting methods that
people have been muttering about --- supply identifiable error codes,
separate location-in-backend-code information from the error itself,
etc etc.

            regards, tom lane