Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL
Date
Re: pgwin32_open returning EINVAL  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>> Interesting. Maybe forever is going a bit too far, but retrying for <n>
>> seconds or so.

> I think looping forever is the right thing. Having a fixed timeout just means
> Postgres will break sometimes instead of all the time. And it introduces
> non-deterministic behaviour too.

Looping forever would be considered broken by a very large fraction of
the community.

IIRC we have a 30-second timeout in rename() for Windows, and that seems
to be working well enough, so I'd be inclined to copy the behavior for
this case.