Re: Remove support for old realpath() API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Remove support for old realpath() API
Date
Re: Remove support for old realpath() API
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/08/2024 09:12, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The now preferred way to call realpath() is by passing NULL as the
> second argument and get a malloc'ed result.  We still supported the
> old way of providing our own buffer as a second argument, for some
> platforms that didn't support the new way yet.  Those were only
> Solaris less than version 11 and some older AIX versions (7.1 and
> newer appear to support the new variant).  We don't support those
> platforms versions anymore, so we can remove this extra code.

+1

We don't seem to have any mentions of POSIX or SuS in docs, in the
installation sections. There are a few mentions of POSIX-1.2008 and
POSIX-1.2001 it in the commit log, though, where we require features
specified by those. Can we rely on everything from POSIX-1-2008
nowadays, or is it more on a case-by-case basis, depending on which
parts of POSIX are supported by various platforms?

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)