Re: PL/PGSQL: Dynamic Record Introspection - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PL/PGSQL: Dynamic Record Introspection
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Titus von Boxberg" <ut@bhi-hamburg.de> writes:
> Questions:
> - could anyone who knows Oracle better than me confirm
>   that with Oracle there are no RECORD variables of varying
>   dynamically assigned type?

Anyone?

> - is the syntax RECORD.(identifier), RECORD.(*), RECORD.(#)
>   still acceptable?

It works for me if we want to have an "NFIELDS" construct.  Personally
I'm still not convinced that we need one --- what's the use-case?

> - do you agree with my approach that "identifier"
>   is restricted to be a variable and cannot be an arbitrary
>   expression evaluating to a string?

I'd prefer arbitrary expression, but I suppose there's no harm in doing
the simple case first and generalizing if there's demand.

            regards, tom lane