Re: Retore database on win xp from back up created with win 7 64 bit gets unsupported version - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Ron Gregor
Subject Re: Retore database on win xp from back up created with win 7 64 bit gets unsupported version
Date
List pgadmin-support
I only did the plain text as it was a suggested test. I still have the situation that the same version of pgadmin makes a back up on a win 7 64 bit machine can not be restored using a win xp system. It gets the unsupported version error for some unknown reason. Both systems used the same msi file to install pgadmin and I double checked that pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe are the same versions on both machines.

From: Guillaume Lelarge [guillaume@lelarge.info]
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:22 AM
To: Ron Gregor
Cc: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org; rod@iol.ie
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Retore database on win xp from back up created with win 7 64 bit gets unsupported version

Le 29 juin 2015 11:25 PM, "Ron Gregor" <RGregor@wcnjcd.com> a écrit :

> 32/64 bit problem - That is what I am trying to find out if there is a problem with running the on 32 bit versus 64 bit machines. I did not find any place to download a windows 64 bit version.
>
> I created a backup using the PLAIN option (closes to text option available) which created a sql file. When I tried to restore this file pgadmin gave me an error "input file does not appear to be a valid archive".

That has nothing to do with 32 vs 64 bits. PgAdmin uses pg_restore to restore a backup, and pg_restore knows nothing about plain backup. It can only work with binary backup (ie tar, custom, or directory).

You'll have to do a backup again, this time in one of the binary formats. Or use psql to restore your backup.