Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.6 creating empty log files. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.6 creating empty log files.
Date
List pgsql-novice
Aditya Rastogi <adirastogi@outlook.com> writes:
> Hi , I am running PostgreSQL 8.3.6 on Red Hat Linux 5.5

You really need to think about an update.  PG 8.3.x is considered EOL
and is no longer getting updated.  What's more, the last release in
that series was 8.3.23, so you're missing about four years worth of
bug fixes.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

> and  am getting empty log files in the pg_log directory. I am running the server with the following configuration :
> log_destination = 'stderr,syslog'logging_collector = onlog_directory = 'pg_log'log_filename =
'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log'log_min_messages= 'notice'log_statement = 'all'
> Moreover , when I connect to a database on the server using psql client , 'show log_min_messages' reports the
parametervalue as 'panic' instead of 'notice' as specified in the postgresql.conf file. Can you please help me out ?

A first guess is that the postmaster is not using the config file you
think it is.  "show config_file" might be informative about that.
You could also try
    select * from pg_settings where name = 'log_min_messages'
to see where the active setting came from.

            regards, tom lane