Re: Performance of "distinct with limit" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From luis.roberto@siscobra.com.br
Subject Re: Performance of "distinct with limit"
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

If "n" is indexed, it should run quickly. Can you share the execution plan for your query?

De: "Klaudie Willis" <Klaudie.Willis@protonmail.com>
Para: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>
Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2020 8:29:58
Assunto: Performance of "distinct with limit"

Hi,

Ran into this under-optimized query execution.

select distinct n from bigtable;   -- Lets say this takes 2 minutes
select distinct n from bigtable limit 2  -- This takes approximately the same time

However, the latter should have the potential to be so much quicker.  I checked the same query on MSSQL (with 'top 2'), and it seems to do exactly the optimization I would expect.

Is there any way to achieve a similar speedup in Postgresql?

Klaudie