Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Woodward
Subject Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap
Date
Re: How to avoid transaction ID wrap  (Trent Shipley <tshipley@deru.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> OK, here's my problem, I have a nature study where we have about 10
>> video
>> cameras taking 15 frames per second.
>> For each frame we make a few transactions on a PostgreSQL database.
>
> Maybe if you grouped multiple operations on bigger transactions, the I/O
> savings could be enough to buy you the ability to vacuum once in a
> while.  Or consider buffering somehow -- save the data elsewhere, and
> have some sort of daemon to put it into the database.  This would allow
> to cope with the I/O increase during vacuum.

The problem is ssufficiently large that any minor modification can easily
hide the problem for a predictble amount of time. My hope was that someone
would have a real "long term" work around.