Re: auto_explain & FDW - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Greco
Subject Re: auto_explain & FDW
Date
List pgsql-general

Oracleuser is very locked down and cannot actually perform an explain. Therefore an error gets raised to the client.

>> I would suggest one of two things- either make the error that gets
>> raised simply be a notice/warning, or preferably just add an option to
>> auto_explain to enable/disable its operation on queries involving foreign servers.
>
>I'm reluctant to change oracle_fdw to not throw an error if it doesn't have the permission to explain the query when
youask it to --- for one, what should it >return in that case?

>I'd say that the solution in this case would be to temporarily allow the user to query the necessary Oracle catalogs.
>If you debug in a production scenario, you'll have to make compromises (similar to granting the PLUSTRACE role if you
wantto use AUTOTRACE with >SQL*Plus).

I'm inclined to agree. The problem with granting the user in Oracle the permissions is that we simply do not have
controlover this. The Oracle database is maintained by a separate company. I have requested the rights, but it up to
theirDBAs discretion.

Therefore, I'd suggest adding an option to auto_explain to enable or disable for foreign servers, or perhaps a separate
thresholdsetting for them.