auto_explain & FDW - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Greco
Subject auto_explain & FDW
Date
List pgsql-general

In my development environment, I am using the auto_explain module to help debug queries the developers complain about being slow. I am also using the oracle_fdw to perform queries against some oracle servers. These queries are generally very slow and the application allows them to be. The trouble is that it appears auto_explain kicks in on the query to try and explain them when they take longer than the configured threshold.  In this particular case, the Oracle user is very locked down and cannot actually perform an explain. Therefore an error gets raised to the client.

I would suggest one of two things- either make the error that gets raised simply be a notice/warning, or preferably just add an option to auto_explain to enable/disable its operation on queries involving foreign servers.

Any thoughts?

~Dave Greco