Re: autovac hung/blocked - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovac hung/blocked
Date
List pgsql-general
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> On Tuesday November 14 2006 12:56 pm, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> You don't have the vacuum cost delay settings set unreasonably
>> high, do you?

> I'm not sure.  Here's what we're running:

> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 500      # default vacuum cost delay for
>                                         # vacuum_cost_delay
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = 200      # default vacuum cost limit for
>                                         # vacuum_cost_limit

That's unreasonably high --- you're telling autovac to do a little work
(about ten pages' worth) and then sleep for half a second.  No wonder it
seems to take forever on a big table.  Try autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay
around 10 or 20 (msec) or so.

            regards, tom lane