Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> We don't need *both* wal_mode and archive_mode, since archive_mode
> exists only to ensure that full WAL is written even when archive_command
> = '' momentarily.

No, you missed the point of the upthread discussion: archive_mode
controls whether to start the archiver *and whether to hold onto
not-yet-archived segments*.  We could maybe finesse the first point
but it's much harder to deal with the latter.  The only workable
alternative I can see to keeping archive_mode is to tell people to
set archive_command to something like /usr/bin/true ... which is not
simpler, especially not on Windows.