Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add test for postmaster crash restarts.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 2017-09-19 12:13:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> IOW, the "$monitor" instance of psql did not complete making its
>> connection until after the crash/restart cycle had occurred.

> That'd be easy enough to fix...

> Just something like

> $monitor_stdin .= q[
> SELECT $$am-i-up$$;
> ];
> $monitor->pump until $monitor_stdout =~ /am-i-up/;
> $monitor_stdout = '';

Hm, do we care whether the sleep call has started?  Maybe not.

>> I'd like to ask you to revert this test, at least pending making
>> it a whole lot more bulletproof.

> Hm. Ok. That seems like an overreaction to me - the failure rate isn't
> actualy that high so far.

It's not that it's high, it's that having to ask buildfarm owners to
manually unwedge their critters is not very cool.  Maybe prairiedog
will be the only one that gets stuck, but I kinda doubt it.

> I'm happy to add both timeouts and "earlier
> startup" of the $monitor, but I'd prefer to do so in-tree - I'd run the
> test through 100+ iterations locally, without any of this showing up.

Well, please fix it ASAP, if you don't want to take it out pending
the fixes.