Re: Re: MySQL's (false?) claims... (was: Re: PL/java?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: MySQL's (false?) claims... (was: Re: PL/java?)
Date
List pgsql-general
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:
>> => PostgreSQL does not allow you to access more than one database per
>> connection.  This makes the system much safer and allows for more robust
>> design.

> How does that makes things safer etc etc? I believe that this is a genuine
> limitation.

It's unlikely that the "one DB per connection" limitation will ever
change.  What is likely to happen (for 7.3, with any luck) is that we
will implement SQL92-compatible schema naming within the traditional
Postgres notion of a database.  More than likely, most installations
will then migrate to keeping all their stuff in multiple schemas within
one big database, and the issue will cease to be a problem in practice
even though the technical limitation is still there.

I have no doubt that MySQL's comparison page will keep pointing to this
issue as a fatal limitation of PG long after it ceases to be a problem,
however ;-)

>> * Tools to repair and optimize MyISAM tables (the most common MySQL table
>> type).
>>
>> => In MySQL you have to repair your tables manually if corruption occurs.
>> PostgreSQL is coded so that corruption cannot occur.

> I sure hope so.

A more accurate way of stating this is "we prefer to spend our
development time on eliminating bugs, not on devising tools to clean up
after bugs".

            regards, tom lane