Re: wrong inicializied array in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: wrong inicializied array in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Pavel Stehule <stehule@kix.fsv.cvut.cz> writes:
> I am testing long array values. I tryed write simple function in plpgsql
> for this. I found maybe a bug. Array in plpgsql without explicit init
> (empty array) don't work;

This isn't a bug; or at least, it's not plpgsql's fault.  The array
variable is initially NULL, same as any other plpgsql variable you
didn't explicitly initialize.  And assigning to an element of a NULL
array yields another NULL array.

Perhaps that behavior should be changed, but I think it would require
making unsupported assumptions about what the user wants...

            regards, tom lane