Re: Bug #827: pg_dump in 7.3 can't dump 7.1 db - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug #827: pg_dump in 7.3 can't dump 7.1 db
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Further investigation seems to indicate this is caused by the cast of
> oprcode to oid at line 1687 of pg_dump.c ("oprcode::oid"). It results in
> the output not being named 'oprcode'. I am a little surprised it's not a
> problem in the 7.3 code branch as well - but maybe it is?

Ah --- probably back in 7.1, the backend's automatic output-column-name
selector was not bright enough to dig down inside typecasts.
Your patch (assign the column name explicitly) is a good one.

This brings up a more general issue, which is that we need to test
pg_dump against old backend versions as well as new ones.  I had had
a private "todo" item to run some tests of that sort for 7.3, but never
got 'round to it.

            regards, tom lane