Re: Limit to number of tables and table drops - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Limit to number of tables and table drops
Date
List pgsql-novice
John Gage <jsmgage@numericable.fr> writes:
> I am creating a web application that uses very small temporary tables
> (i.e. tables that are created and then destroyed nearly immediately)
> to store state data for a particular browser "session".

> A table might have four columns and four rows each containing a small
> piece of text.

> The "sessions" last a minute at best.

> I can contemplate (hope for?) as many as 100,000 sessions in an hour.
> That would mean 100,000 table creations and destructions in an hour
> ( or getting on 2000 per minute).

Well, that's going to create an awful lot of churn in the system
catalogs.  You could probably make it work with sufficiently aggressive
autovacuum settings, but I wonder why you are designing it like that.
Seems like it would be better to have one, persistent, table with the
four payload columns plus a session ID column.

            regards, tom lane