Re: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET DISTINCT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET DISTINCT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A question: why does attdistinct become entry #5 instead of going at the end?
>> I assume it's because the order here controls the column order, and it makes
>> sense to have attdistinct next to attstattarget, since they're related. Is
>> that right? Thanks in advance...

> Yep, that was my thought.

We generally want fixed-size columns before variable-size ones, to ease
accessing them from C code.  So it shouldn't go at the end in any case.
Beyond that it's mostly aesthetics, with maybe some thought for avoiding
unnecessary alignment padding.