Re: [GENERAL] Stats Collector - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Stats Collector
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Stats Collector  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> A function seems like the wrong way to go on this.  SET has super-user
> protections we could use to control this but I am not sure what SET
> syntax to use.

I don't like SET for it --- SET is for setting state that will persist
over some period of time, not for taking one-shot actions.  We could
perhaps use a function that checks that it's been called by the
superuser.

However, the real question is what is the use-case for this feature
anyway.  Why should people want to reset the stats while the system
is running?  If we had a clear example then it might be more apparent
what restrictions to place on it.